Re: [W3C Web and TV IG] Adaptive streaming MPEG DASH liaison

From: Steve Lhomme <slhomme@matroska.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:00:40 +0100
To: Thomas Stockhammer <stockhammer@nomor.de>
Cc: Rob Glidden <rob.glidden@sbcglobal.net>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>, "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>, Gerard Fernando <gerardmxf@yahoo.co.uk>, "juhani.huttunen@nokia.com" <juhani.huttunen@nokia.com>, "hj08.lee@lge.com" <hj08.lee@lge.com>, "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Thomas Stockhammer
<stockhammer@nomor.de> wrote:
> Rob,
> DASH is one component in a streaming system. You also have codecs and other
> components. And streaming means delivery over a network. You need to make
> sure that ALL components fulfill your policy according to your rules and if
> you do this, you may be down to something that does not work or has
> completely unreasonable functionalities.
> This does not at all say that DASH is encumbered, but it says that removing
> technologies from an end-to-end system is most likely not the appropriate
> way forward.

I agree. But in this case that means the W3C should be looking not
only for an adaptive streaming standard that is royalty free, but also
the whole rest of the stack as well. Otherwise the network part alone
is useless as a W3C recommendation/standard.

I suppose DASH profiles will specify the codecs/containers for one
particular use case ? So I assume a royalty free DASH profile should
also include codecs/containers.

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman