RE: IG charter: modification suggestion

Dear all,

It seems very nice draft charter, thanks for the great work for those who
outlined this.

I would like to contribute this great work by asking a few questions for
clarification and giving opinions as TV maker.

 <Questions for clarification>

1.     Timeline : From the mail thread so far, the IG officially will start
around this year end, but the timelines section below reflects IG started
and end day will be Christmas eve. Several participants including me
mentioned IG starting should be immediate. Is this opinion accepted?

2.     Priority : The date below seems to be all the related works target
end date. At Tokyo, consensus is after 3 months WebonTV IG, WebonTV WG will
ensue.

Initial use cases we are favored are chosen for WG activities. What we have
to do in IG is to elaborate those use cases, requirement for them, and
timeline as far as I could understand. However, during the initial drafting
mail discussion more exquisite 4 categories came up: WG internal works and
external relationship works. I think this is very good approach and why the
end date of IG is 2012. If this is the case, we could arrange the work
items of each categories end timing according to industry priority
consensus during IG work.

3.     Decision : If we will handle 4 web and TV related categories here,
we need to have decision entity to adjust all the related topics. I¡¯m not
sure W3C has this kind of special entity for single topic. If we continue
IG until 2012, IG scope could be extended that far. If there¡¯s scattered
entities for decision it will be very chaotic.

<Opinions as TV maker>

1.     Regarding scope, we already tried TV and Web in 1998 and still the
topic tastes very good.  I¡¯m technically fine to discuss both directions
TV towards Web and Web towards TV, however if we focus initial goal for
this activity in mind that WebonTV means various web technologies
selection/modification fitting onto large screen and resource scarce TV, I
would like to suggest we stick to WebonTV as superior priority. Unlike PC
which can enjoy limitless degree of freedom of whatever web technologies
needed, TV has limited capability of freedom and even storage is almost
marginal at point of sales. So standardization to eliminate duplicating
things is very very important for TV.

2.     This direction guide will help efficient convergence of industry
consensus at the age of Smart TV. Content providers including broadcasters
are bewildered when discussing with TV makers in that too many seemingly
same web technologies are available. Server side players also have a
headache of selection. If W3C guides entire industry with reference
platform, it would be great help.

Best regards,

HJ