[tech] Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

Hi Doug,
thanks for proposing this topic.

I think this is exactly the kind of topics we want to discuss in this IG
and I hope all people on this ML can contribute with their view (mine is
few lines below)
I marked the thread with [tech] in order not to confuse it with other
discussions like the one about the charter draft.

I would also invite people to open other technical discussion and mark
them with [tech], since regardless from the charter approval every
discussion is welcome in order to improve the synergy among different PoVs
and industry areas active in this IG.

Going back to the original topic, here my answer:

I think the issue you raised is a valid one and there was some work done
in the groups I've been working with, in particular OIPF[1] and HbbTV[2]
(partially inherited from another spec)

The relevant documents you should check are:
OIPF DAE:
http://www.oipf.tv/docs/Release2/OIPF-T1-R2-Specification-Volume-5-Declarative-Application-Environment-v2_0-2010-09-07.pdf
HbbTV:
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102700_102799/102796/01.01.01_60/ts_102796v010101p.pdf

In particular you can check

in OIPF DAE
7.2.5 The Keyset class
9.1 Minimum DAE capability requirements (text at the end of the section)
Annex B sect. B.3 "Changes to Section 5.4" contains some text about key
events (not strictly relevant to your question but may be of interest)

in Hbbtv
sect. 5.2 "User input"
sect. 10.2.2 "User input"
annex A.2.6 XHTML Profile may also be of interest for you

I understand that diving into these specs may not be easy so I can provide
some help/clarification if needed.
Let us know what do you think and if there is some overlap between what
have been done in these groups and what your WG is planning to do.

cheers
/g

[1] http://www.oipf.tv/specifications.html
[2] www.hbbtv.org

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:59:37 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Folks-
>
> I'm the editor of DOM3 Events, which (among other things) is finally
> standardizing keyboard events.  The spec contains a list of common keys
> [2], but focuses mainly on traditional desktop keyboards, and to a
> lesser extent, on mobiles.  There are a few keys for media controls, but
> mainly in the context of "fancy" computer keyboards.
>
> It occurred to me that a more forward-looking spec would also include
> common buttons from media remote controls, such as would be useful for
> browser-TV-remote hybrid keyboards, like the ones from Logitech, Sony,
> etc., for GoogleTV, AppleTV, and other systems (I know there are many
> other projects, these are just the ones that popped into my head from
> reading tech blogs; no disrespect intended to other vendors).
>
> Including remote-control-type buttons would be good for content authors
> who want to program Web content inclusive of those devices.  I've got a
> few keys/buttons in mind (ChannelUp, ChannelDown, FastForward, Reverse,
> Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, and so forth), but it would be good to have a
> more comprehensive list of possibilities, along with their relative
> importance and commonness.
>
> If anyone has any concrete suggestions about this, or could you put me
> in touch with people or companies who do, I would greatly appreciate any
> help.
>

> (To put DOM3 Events in context for those who don't know the technical
> background, the DOM is the primary way that script interacts with Web
> documents, by reading, writing, and changing elements, attributes, and
> text through the in-memory model of the document structure and the
> associated APIs; DOM events are the way that user interaction is managed
> within that, e.g. 'click' events, 'keydown' events, etc.)
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/#key-values
>
> Thanks-
> -Doug Schepers