W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org > June 2012

Re: captions and subtitles Take 2

From: Loďc Martínez Normand <loic@fi.upm.es>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 00:09:36 +0200
Message-ID: <CAJpUyzmbzbEV+Mn_1XFHEKZVrBSzDfFdATaAmYDYZhGD_ppG8g@mail.gmail.com>
To: Kiran Kaja <kkaja@adobe.com>
Cc: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org" <public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org>
Dear all,

Although I'm late on this, I wanted to say that I agree with the proposed
text that is now in the Google sites page.

Loďc

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Kiran Kaja <kkaja@adobe.com> wrote:

> If we are adding this info for people who do not know much about captions,
> we may as well go ahead and provide examples for “non-speech audio
> information needed to understand the media content”. Appending to Gregg’s
> proposal:****
>
> ** **
>
> "Note: The WCAG 2.0 definition of Captions says " In some countries,
> captions are called subtitles".   ****
>
> They are also sometimes referred to as "subtitles for the hearing
> impaired" ****
>
> To meet this SC however subtitles would have to be the type that provide "synchronized
> visual and/or text alternative<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#text-altdef> for
> both speech and non-speech audio information needed to understand the media
> content. Non-speech information may include sound effects, music,
> laughter, speaker identification and location."****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards,****
>
> Kiran Kaja****
>
> Accessibility Engineer****
>
> Adobe Systems Europe****
>
> +44 (0) 1628 590005 (Direct)****
>
> 80005 (Internal)****
>
> +44 (0) 78330 91999 (Mobile)****
>
> Kkaja@adobe.com****
>
> Twitter.com/kirankaja12****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gv@trace.wisc.edu]
> *Sent:* 01 June 2012 18:23
> *To:* public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org
> *Subject:* RE: captions and subtitles Take 2****
>
> ** **
>
> New proposed wording****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
>  the following is proposed as a note that would be included on the caption
> provisions in WCAG2ICT:****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> "Note: The WCAG 2.0 definition of Captions says " In some countries,
> captions are called subtitles".   ****
>
> They are also sometimes referred to as "subtitles for the hearing
> impaired" ****
>
> To meet this SC however subtitles would have to be the type that provide "synchronized
> visual and/or text alternative<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#text-altdef> for
> both speech and non-speech audio information needed to understand the media
> content"****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
>  ****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gv@trace.wisc.edu]
> *Sent:* Friday, June 01, 2012 11:37 AM
> *To:* public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org
> *Subject:* captions and subtitles****
>
> ** **
>
> In our meeting today it was pointed out that WCAG refers to Captions
>  while some countries use the work Subtitles for the same thing.****
>
> ** **
>
> When this occurred with audio description and video description we added
> the following note to WCAG2ICT****
>
> ** **
>
> "Note: WCAG 2.0 definition of Audio Description says that Audio
> Description is "Also called 'video description' and 'descriptive
> narration.'".****
>
> ** **
>
> We were going to use a similar statement here but it is complicate by the
> fact that "subtitles" is also used to refer to subtext that only contains
> the words and does not contain speaker identification or important
> non-speech sounds.****
>
> ** **
>
> So the following is proposed as a note instead - that would be included on
> the caption provisions in WCAG2ICT:****
>
> ** **
>
> "Note: The WCAG 2.0 definition of Captions says " In some countries,
> captions are called subtitles".  To meet this SC however they would have
> to be the type of subtitles that provide "synchronized visual and/or text
> alternative <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#text-altdef> for
> both speech and non-speech audio information needed to understand the media
> content"****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> *Gregg*****
>
> --------------------------------------------------------
> Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
> Director Trace R&D Center
> Professor Industrial & Systems Engineering
> and Biomedical Engineering
> University of Wisconsin-Madison****
>
>
> Co-Director, Raising the Floor - International
> and the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure Project
> http://Raisingthefloor.org   ---   http://GPII.net****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>



-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Loďc Martínez-Normand
DLSIIS. Facultad de Informática
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Campus de Montegancedo
28660 Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
---------------------------------------------------------------
e-mail: loic@fi.upm.es
tfno: +34 91 336 74 11
---------------------------------------------------------------
Received on Monday, 4 June 2012 22:10:05 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 4 June 2012 22:10:05 GMT