RE: RE: SC 2.4.6 wording

The wording "When a Web page is navigated sequentially, components receive focus in an order that follows relationships and sequences in the content".

Is abstract to the point of vacuity, so there is no way we can keep this.

The 'how to meet' is a little clearer, but introduces the logic word we have had trouble with.

There are two cases of reading order we need to deal with, firstly within a continuous narrative text I believe there is only a single reading order (at least in any written language I have ever heard of). When we consider navigation between diconnected units of narrative text, there is more latitude; but some sense of locality is generally preferred.

Although this gets a little specific, I think we could reasonably proscribe for tabbing:

Ensure every link is visited, and no link is repeated while there is an unvisited link.

For links within the same block of continuous text, navigate to the next link in the inline progression direction (allowing for wrap).

Between blocks, navigate to the first link of the inline progression order in some other block (either the nearest block in the block progression direction, or the inline progression direction, at the authors choice).

Links not in a text run count as a complete block.

Sean Hayes
Standards and Policy Team
Accessible Technology Group
Microsoft