RE: 9 of 24 issues

Wendy, thanks so much for doing this.

Here's a comment on issue 1406.  First, here's what you've given us:

  In addition we need to determine
    if all instances of "a word used in a restricted manner" must be
marked or
    only the first occurrence.
    Thanks for your input.

Roberto:
I think that we should mark all the occurrences and expand (with title
attributes) the first one.

I agree that the example is most closely related to GL 3.1 L3 SC5, and
that the photos, video clips, and animation that it mentions can
appropriately be considered as supplemental content per the SC.

But in the present wording of the example, the "brief explanation"
wouldn't count as a summary-- it's an explanation of the phenomenon of
volcanic eruption, not a summary of the content of the page in question.
(This would be easy enough to "fix"-- just change "brief explanation" to
"summary."  But I don't think that's necessary-- the content would pass
the SC because it provides graphical illustrations to supplement the
text content.)

-- I think I may have created a version-control problem when I sent the
updated draft of the Guide for GL 3.1 L3 SC5.  The draft I sent on 12
September has a subtitle, "Examples of readability in English text,"
immediately following the heading "Examples of GL 3.1 L3 SC5."  That
subtitle doesn't appear in the version of the Guide published on 30 June
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-GENERAL-20050630/meaning-supplement
s.html).

That's a small editorial issue-- I think I had originally included the
subtitle to remind myself and the WG that it would be good to have
similar examples for languages other than English, and I'd still like to
do that.

The more important issue, though, is that the example about Mt. Pinitubo
illustrates a different approach to the problem of difficult text: it
shows how text that triggers the requirement to provide supplemental
content can be rewritten to satisfy GL 3.1 L3 SC5 without providing
supplemental content.

So I would prefer to keep both examples (at least in the Guide) and to
find some acceptable way of indicating more clearly what they're
examples of.

Actually, though, the more carefully I look at that example of
readability in English text, the more I think it isn't a good example
after all.  According to my note at the end of the first version,  the
description of Saturn wouldn't trigger the supplemental content
requirement-- it comes in with a grade level of 9.9, which would mean
that it just barely falls within our definition of "lower secondary
education level."

I'm giving myself an action to come up with an example of text that does
trigger the requirement, with a rewrite that wouldn't trigger it. I'll
try to do that by the end of the day tomorrow (Tuesday).

Sorry this is so long. Thinking out loud.

John
"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute