Words used in a restricted way (was RE: proposed new definitions for abbreviation and acronym)

Becky, then Roberto:

  In addition we need to determine
    if all instances of "a word used in a restricted manner" must be
marked or
    only the first occurrence.
    Thanks for your input.

Roberto:
I think that we should mark all the occurrences and expand (with title
attributes) the first one.

Using the title attribute could be one sufficient technique for
providing definitions of words (other than abbreviations, acronyms, or
initialisms) used in a restricted way, but Team B has discussed other
techniques as well.  Examples include  using the <dfn> element, linking
to a definition in a glossary that's part of the same delivery unit,
using <link rel="glossary">, etc.
If we accept the proposal to combine GL 3.1 L3 SC2 (words used in a
restricted way) with GL 3.1 L3 SC3 (abbreviations), then (as Becky
pointed out last week) the Guide for the combined SC will need
techniques for *both* words used in a restricted way (such as the usage
of "text" in WCAG 2.0) *and* techniques for abbreviations, acronyms, and
initialisms. Of course, the techniques for identifying abbreviations,
acronyms, and initialisms will be pretty simple if we're going to
recommend <abbr> for all three<grin>.

John
"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director