RE: Please return home

Report on “Audio Description” comments.

>From the 6 comments I make two recommendations.

1)       Allow for AD to cover video content we may not have mentioned
<proposed> "Audio descriptions of video provide information about actions,
characters, scene changes, on-screen text, etc. " </proposed> Or use “and
other visual content” instead of “etc” (if we think “etc.” is not testable)

2)       Change Audio Description to a “Mass Noun” (always in singular)
Search and replace “Audio Descriptions” with “Audio Description” throughout
all our documents.

The WGBH wanted to move all audio descriptions including descriptions of
live video to Level 1, (this is not unexpected given their mandate) and NTT
CLARUTY CORP. of Japan wanted to remove AD completely because lack of
information in Japan. Sheilesh was calling for extended descriptions at a
higher level.

I think AD requirements are currently at the right levels and there is not
compelling evidence that they should be changed. I think all the proposed
think.

Cheers

David

A full discussion is below.

1)       One is by Geoff Freed of WGBH National Center for Accessible Media.
They both say the same thing. That Descriptions “should be required at level
1, Period!” RESPONSE: {reject} After much discussion, the group felt that a
full transcript should be allowed as an alternative. A full transcript
provides all the information from the multimedia (visual and auditory). That
has been our measure for an accessible alternative. It does not provide the
same experience, but text alternatives to graphics do not provide the same
experience either. In addition, audio-description very often does not
provide anywhere near all of the information presented visually. Audio
descriptions therefore may not actually provide enough information to
provide all of the information in a video such as a training video. Thus, a
full text alternative (audio and visual) would provide more information than
just an audio description. It was therefore decided to allow the option to
provide either audio description or a full text transcript at level 1.

2)       Geoff Feed goes on to say LIVE Audio Descriptions should be Level
one: RESPONSE: “Unless live action is scripted, there is no way to know when
the gaps will occur so that live audio description can be done (unless it is
video footage which essentially has no audio dialog or, you are going to
delay broadcast by some significant amount).”

3)       Eric Hansen of Educational Testing Service says it’s a significant
change for WCAG 1.0 which had AD at L1. RESPOND WITH: "Yes this is a
significant change.  It was done with the realization that AD will not work
for some training videos where there is no gap in dialog and important
visual information. It also allows a full text equivalent as an alternative
for those cases where that is easier -- in recognition that a text
alternative is has always been viewed as sufficient.

4)       Sheilesh says that extended audio descriptions are currently
required at Level 1 and 2 because he says we do not distinguish between
extended and natural, and he says they would be required pauses are too
short. He wants to delete 1.2.6 and thereby infer more explicitly that we
require AD extension. He thinks it’s repetitive. RESPONSE: {not accept}
Extended audio descriptions are not required by 1.2.2 and 1.2.3. In fact
Audio Description is described as additional audio content during the
naturally occurring gaps.  1.2.6 is therefore needed to introduce the
extended audio description concept.

5)       Joe Clark .says Audio description provides ""information about
actions, characters, scene changes, and on-screen text"" among other things.
Nobody has produced an exhaustive list, and maybe we do or do not need such
a thing, but it isn't limited to those items. RESPONSE: @@ [partial accept]
<proposed> "Audio descriptions of video provide information about actions,
characters, scene changes, on-screen text, and other visual content.
</proposed>" Or simply add the word "etc." to the list (which is my
preference)

6)       Joe Clark .says Change all instances of "Audio Descriptions" to
"Audio Description".RESPOND: We have changed the definition of Audio
Description to allow description of other visual elements not mentioned in
the list. The WCAG definitions standard audio description as an alternative
that is inserted during natural occurring pauses. We cannot require AD to
occur over dialogue, even if there is not enough space to fully describe the
content, because putting AD over dialogue would make that dialogue
inaccessible. Level 3 requires extended audio description which is usually
how this should be handled. Although AD is not yet standardized as a Mass
Noun (http://ncam.wgbh.org/richmedia/tutorials/audiodesc.html) There is
momentum in the industry to make it a Mass Noun and therefore we have
changed it according to your recommendation.

7)       Audio description is typically ""added during existing pauses in
dialogue." There are quite a few occasions in which it is necessary to
describe over dialogue.

8)       "Audio description"" is generally written as a mass noun, like
""captioning."" Hence ""audio description of video provides."" RESPOND:
Although AD is not yet standardized as a Mass Noun
(http://ncam.wgbh.org/richmedia/tutorials/audiodesc.html) There is momentum
in the industry to make it a Mass Noun and therefore we have changed it
according to your recommendation.

9)       Tomoaki Kodaka <koda@pk9.so-net.ne.jp of NTT CLARUTY CORPORATION,
wants us to drop AD completely because they don’t know anything about them
in Japan.

...access empowers people...

                   ...barriers disable them...

www.eramp.com