Re: [urgent] input from WAI Coordination Group on mobile accessibility pre-cal

Why not use "end users" instead of "people with disabilities"? If accessibility is a broader concept that also targets situational impairments, I believe that "end users" would be a more encompassing term.

Anyhow, I support Simon's remarks.

regards,

markel

> Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
> [...]
>> I don't necessarily agree that it is obvious. People with disabilities
>> are frequently left out from discussions and development. For example
>> our previous symposium did not have any presenters from organizations
>> representing people with disabilities, yet here we were talking about
>> optimal metrics and ways to measure accessibility...
>
> Yes, I agree with Shadi people with disabilities often feel left out, and will add that this is even more so when we are in the domain of 'experts'. So IMO little things that we can do to reach out and show that the input from PwD is needed and valued is really important

>>> Second part:
>>>
>>> We invite extended research abstracts of no more than 1000 words from
>>> research, industry, people with disabilities, and others with interest in
>>> mobile web accessibility.
>>>
>>> Adding 'people with disabilities,' is just plain wrong - it is both
>>> patronising and trite; it suggests we think people with disabilities
>>> occur
>>> in a set by themselves and not as part of the R&D community - this is
>>> wrong and discriminatory!
>>
>> I appreciate your opinion but respectfully disagree with your blanket
>> statement. We *are* talking about accessibility solutions for people
>> with disabilities (even if they relate to and benefit others) and we
>> should be respectful enough to invite end-users to the discussion IMHO.
>
> Again, I agree with Shadi and don't see anything wrong in asking for the input from PwD. I don't see is discriminatory at all but a clear call for involvement and inclusion.
>
> Cheers
>
> Josh

Markel Vigo
University of Manchester (UK)
Web Ergonomics Lab - Information Management Group

PS: I check my email at 9AM and 5PM BST. If you require a faster response please include the word [fast!] in the subject line.