public IRC channel during the symposium

From: Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:56:47 +0200
To: Simon Harper <Simon.Harper@manchester.ac.uk>, Yeliz Yesilada <yyeliz@metu.edu.tr>, Peter Thiessen <peterdev001@gmail.com>
CC: RDWG <public-wai-rd@w3.org>
Hi Simon, Yeliz, Peter, and all,

I recall having discussed providing an IRC channel for the symposium
attendees but did we agree on making this public to everyone too?

Pro: it allows anyone interested to actively participate, even when they
don't have phone access (the live captions will be public);

Con: it can be difficult to manage, especially if we have "chatty"
people in the chat room (occasionally also offensive people btw).

Suggestion: we could try it out this time but not announce it too
broadly (only have the information on the symposium page for these
people who actually visit it during the symposium), but this would still
require some attention of the symposium chairs to track the questions
and comments raised during the discussion.

What do people think, especially the symposium chairs?

Regards,
   Shadi