From: Peter Korn [mailto:peter.korn@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:35 PM
To: Velleman, Eric
Cc: public-wai-evaltf@w3.org
Subject: Proposed text on "WCAG-EM Conformance" [was Re: EvalTF Telco]

Hi Eric, all,

At our last meeting we discussed the fact that WCAG 2.0 defines a conformance claim "only for Web pages", and that it can only be made if a page fully satisfies all of the success criteria (A/AA/AAA as appropriate to the claim).  We also observed that since WCAG-EM defines a sampling methodology, the output of a WCAG-EM evaluation couldn't be a "WCAG 2.0 conformance claim" for the website being evaluated, since by the nature of sampling not all pages had been evaluated.  And finally, we agreed that a new section describing this situation and what conformance means for WCAG-EM should be added.

I took the action from that meeting to draft proposed language for that section, which I include below.  Perhaps if there is time we might start discussing this tomorrow at our meeting.  Looking at our current editors draft<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712>, I suggest this new section should go into the Introduction section<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712#introduction>, appearing right after Terms and Definitions<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712#terms>.

"Conformance" in the context of WCAG-EM
WCAG 2.0<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG> defines the term "conformance<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformancedef>", and also describes the requirements for a Web page to conform to WCAG 2.0<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-reqs>.  Furthermore, WCAG 2.0 describes the requirements of an optional WCAG 2.0 conformance claim<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-claims>, which "is defined only for Web pages".  Under these terms and descriptions, a claim may only be made for specific pages which are explicitly known to satisfy all of the requirements (at the A, AA, or AAA level as appropriate).  This means a "WCAG 2.0 conformance claim" cannot be made for a collection of web pages unless it is known that all of those web pages satisfy all of the requirements.

The purpose of WCAG-EM is to define a methodology for sampling and evaluating large or complex websites and web applications using the WCAG 2.0 success criteria (at the A, AA, and AAA levels as appropriate), based on a sample of that website / web application, without evaluating all of the web pages or possible user interactions with a web application.  This is often necessary because it is rarely if ever possible to exhaustively evaluate every page for every success criteria in large or complex websites, or to evaluate every possible user input and dynamic output of large or complex web applications.

As a result of this, WCAG-EM cannot be used to make a "WCAG 2.0 conformance claim" for a website or web application, as only a subset of that website or web application has been evaluated.  When used successfully, however, WCAG-EM can ascertain the extent to which a website or web application likely conforms.  This result of WCAG-EM can then be used to generate a "WCAG 2.0 conformance report" (see Appendix C: Example Reports<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712#reports> for the kinds of reports that can be generated).  The more detailed WCAG-EM reports described herein note the issues found in the evaluation, and provide some confidence level as to how representative these findings are for the entire website or web application under evaluation.

Regards,

Peter