Proposed text on "WCAG-EM Conformance" [was Re: EvalTF Telco]

Hi Eric, all,

At our last meeting we discussed the fact that WCAG 2.0 defines a
conformance claim "only for Web pages", and that it can only be made if
a page fully satisfies /all/ of the success criteria (A/AA/AAA as
appropriate to the claim).  We also observed that since WCAG-EM defines
a sampling methodology, the output of a WCAG-EM evaluation couldn't be a
"WCAG 2.0 conformance claim" for the website being evaluated, since by
the nature of sampling not all pages had been evaluated.  And finally,
we agreed that a new section describing this situation and what
conformance means for WCAG-EM should be added.

I took the action from that meeting to draft proposed language for that
section, which I include below.  Perhaps if there is time we might start
discussing this tomorrow at our meeting.  Looking at our current editors
draft <http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712>, I
suggest this new section should go into the Introduction section
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712#introduction>,
appearing right after Terms and Definitions
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712#terms>.

================================

    "Conformance" in the context of WCAG-EM

WCAG 2.0 <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG> defines the term "conformance
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformancedef>", and also describes the
requirements for a Web page to conform to WCAG 2.0
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-reqs>.  Furthermore, WCAG 2.0
describes the requirements of an optional WCAG 2.0 conformance claim
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-claims>, which "is defined only
for Web pages".  Under these terms and descriptions, a claim may only be
made for specific pages which are explicitly known to satisfy /all of
the requirements/ (at the A, AA, or AAA level as appropriate).  This
means a "WCAG 2.0 conformance claim" cannot be made for a collection of
web pages unless it is known that /all/ of those web pages satisfy /all
/of the requirements.

The purpose of WCAG-EM is to define a methodology for sampling and
evaluating large or complex websites and web applications using the WCAG
2.0 success criteria (at the A, AA, and AAA levels as appropriate),
based on a sample of that website / web application, /without
/evaluating /all /of the web pages or possible user interactions with a
web application.  This is often necessary because it is rarely if ever
possible to exhaustively evaluate every page for every success criteria
in large or complex websites, or to evaluate every possible user input
and dynamic output of large or complex web applications.

As a result of this, WCAG-EM cannot be used to make a "WCAG 2.0
conformance claim" for a website or web application, as only a subset of
that website or web application has been evaluated.  When used
successfully, however, WCAG-EM can ascertain the /extent to which a
website or web application /*/likely /*/conforms/. This result of
WCAG-EM can then be used to generate a "WCAG 2.0 conformance report"
(see Appendix C: Example Reports
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20130712#reports>
for the kinds of reports that can be generated).  The more detailed
WCAG-EM reports described herein note the issues found in the
evaluation, and provide some confidence level as to how representative
these findings are for the entire website or web application under
evaluation.

Regards,

Peter

--