Re: Step 1.e: Define the Techniques to be used

Hi Vivienne,

My starting point is the W3C Working Group notes - Understanding SC 2.4.1
(http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-skip.html)

**Specific benefits include -
1) When this Success Criterion is not satisfied, it may be difficult for
people with some disabilities to reach the main content of a Web page
quickly and easily.
3) People who use only the keyboard or a keyboard interface can reach
content with fewer keystrokes. Otherwise, they might have to make dozens of
keystrokes before reaching a link in the main content area. This can take a
long time and may cause severe physical pain for some users.

**The example given is
A news organization's home page contains a main story in the middle of the
page, surrounded by many blocks and sidebars for advertising, searching, and
other services. There is a link at the top of the page that jumps to the
main story. Without using this link, a keyboard user needs to tab through
approximately 40 links to reach the main story; the screen reader user has
to listen to 200 words; and the screen magnifier user must search around for
the location of the main body.

**The first sufficient technique is
G1: Adding a link at the top of each page that goes directly to the main
content area

>From the above it is clear to me that if a website has more than a few
navigation links it is ***essential***  to use the "skip to" technique. This
is also backed up by personal experience. To met 2.4.1 we need to provide a
properly coded link at the top of the page that is visible to keyboard
users. (it can be hidden from sighted mouse users, but it must appear  when
"active" or "focus" via the keyboard.) This is not an optional extra. At
present there is no practical alternative that I know of.

The same applies to long lists, samples of code and ascii art. If a list
(ol, ul, dl) is very long then I like to see a "skip list" option (various
ways of doing this).

The above benefits keyboard users AND blind users.

Some AT, such as screen readers, are capable of listing the sematic
structure (headings, links etc.). For these users an additional benefit is
provided by correct semantic code. This DOES NOT replace the need for a
"skip" link. I quote below from WCAG introduction.

"In addition to the sufficient techniques, there are a number of advisory
techniques that can enhance accessibility, but did not qualify as sufficient
techniques because they are not sufficient to meet the full requirements of
the Success Criteria, they are not testable, and/or because they are good
and effective techniques in some circumstances but not effective or helpful
in others. These are listed as advisory techniques and are right below the
sufficient techniques. Authors are encouraged to use these techniques
wherever appropriate to increase accessibility of their Web pages."

Thus "skip" links is sufficient on it's own whilst semantic structure is
advisory.

One final point about 2.4.1 (and many other SC) is that there is provided a
list of general techniques with an intro that says something like "using one
of the following techniques". This does not mean that you can use just one
of the techniques on a page and claim that the whole page is compliant. It
will depend upon what is on the page. If the page is very simple (say a
pop-up window with a single phrase message) then, because there are no
blocks there is no need for any skips at all. On the other hand a long,
complex page may require all the general techniques being used many many
times !

That is my thinking - I hope it clarifies rather than confuses

Richard