From: Kerstin Probiesch [k.probiesch@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, 20 January 2012 5:53 PM
To: public-wai-evaltf@w3.org
Subject: AW: Evaluator Errors

Hi Vivienne, all,

is the paper somewhere in the web?

I really think that we should discuss errors in detail, independent of if we
decide for 100% conformance or not. In the moment we are discussing just
"errors/findings on pages", but other errors can have an impact on the
result. If an evaluator makes a mistake or oversees something, it is a
mistake of the evaluator. This should not happen, of course, but it can
happen, nobody is perfect. The evaluator might mix-up accessibility and
usability. This also can produce an error.

But this is not the main point I'm concerned of. Other aspects can produce
errors. Some can happen in the preliminary phase, where an evaluator selects
the pages. Let's take 10 pages, just as an example: 10 pages on a small
website is something else than 10 on a huge website. On a very small website
which probably has just 10 single pages there will be no sampling error. The
more single pages a website has the more likely sampling errors are.

Just one example and as kind of intellectual play, I think I mentioned it in
one of my mails in the very beginning of our work: An evaluator has to check
the conformance of the websites of different political parties. Every
evaluator has of course his own political opinion. What could happen, I
don't say that it will happen, is that an evaluator is sampling the pages of
the party he belongs to. Two errors are possible: probably the evaluator
will not go so deeply but probably the opposite might happen, because the
evaluator knows that there is a correlation between the page sampling and
the result.

The less pages a sample has and the more singles pages the tested website,
the more it is likely that errors like this can happen. Probably the
evaluator likes the layout, probably not. And so on. Not all of these
aspects must be conscious to the evaluator. We should give guidance to
prevent them and of course reduce the possibility of errors like this in the
methodology itself. I think we need a list and descriptions of possible
evaluator errors and their possible impact on the result, independent if
those are highly probable, more likely or unlikely - because we don't know
how likely they really are. And of course and to be sure: I don't want to
suppose those issues.

This is also just one reason why I prefer not only relying on pages.
Probably we need a sample of X pages, probably not. If we decide for page
sampling there must be, I think, further testing of elements as integral
part of the methodology: X tables, X forms and of course SC 1.3.3 is
important. Especially violations of 1.3.3 can likely be overseen in the
preliminary phase of the sampling. I think this testing of elements are not
just important for the result of the conformance claim itself but also for
the prevention of sampling errors and will bring in more reliability.

And just for taking over an issue of the other thread: I belong to the '100%
conformance group' - not because of naivety, not because of black/white
thinking. Because of reducing errors and holding the margin of error in
whole as a conglomerate of different small or not so small errors which can
arise during the whole evaluation process as low as possible.

Best

Kerstin