Re: proposed definition for "website"

Hi Don, hi list,

I agree that the evaluation of portlets is an important use case. It
raises the issue to what extent the methodology would support an
evaluation based on a subset of WCAG success criteria.

Just to be clear: I think a proper conformance statement can only be
made on the level of the full web page. The testing of a number of
success criteria depends not only on the assessment of the full page
(as for most SC within principle 2: Operable), but beyond that, on the
page *context*, as in 2.4.5 Multiple Ways, 3.2.3 Consistent
Navigation, and 3.2.4 Consistent Identification. And some success
criteria (or subsets thereof, such as 1.3.1: headings) may or may not
apply on the level of portlet-generated code fragment, depending on
the approach. For example, in an HTML 5 context, the headings
hierarchy may be generated from the nesting of fragments so having all
portals use h1 might be fine.

Having said that, it is clearly useful to be able to evaluate portlets
or other code framents (whatever way they are generated) with an
applicable subset of WCAG Success Criteria. This would give
organizations a means to measure the degree of conformance on a unit
level long before a final conformance claim or test. The full
conformance statement would then only be made on the level of the
portal page.

How much of the methodology is actually useful for a selective
evaluation based on a subset of WCAG success criteria needs to be
carefully looked at.

Regards,
Detlev

e.g. Quoting Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>:

> Hi Don,
>
> I would say that this depends on what the scope of the evaluation
> is, which needs to be clearly stated in the conformance
> statement/report.
>
> It could make sense to have each portlet evaluated separately,
> though this would not include the main portal entry page and
> similarly pages that belong to the portal but are not specific to
> individual portals.
>
> Actually, I think this is an important use-case for us to consider.
>
> Best,
>   Shadi
>

> On 3.2.2012 17:40, Don Raikes wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Maybe I have missed a  discussion of this topic since I just joined
>> the group, but what about a portal-style site?
>>
>> What if one or more portlets on the site are accessible, but the
>> container portal page has some accessibility issues how do we
>> handle this?  Also what about the fact that some portlets are
>> accessible and others are not? Do we consider each portlet a
>> website since it is a self-contained web application?

Detlev Fischer PhD
DIAS GmbH - Daten, Informationssysteme und Analysen im Sozialen
Geschäftsführung: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25
Mobile: +49-157 7-170 73 84
Fax: +49-40-43 18 75-19
E-Mail: fischer@dias.de

Anschrift: Schulterblatt 36, D-20357 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 58 167
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp