Re: use of <acronym> in our documents

Shadi Abou-Zahra schrieb:
> Dear group,
>
> During the previous teleconference call we agreed on an approach for
> using <acronym> elements in our documents.

BTW, which definition of acronym do we share? Some people insist on
acronyms to be pronouncable words, like RADAR. With this definition, XML
and RDF would not be acronyms, while EARL would be one. AIRC, the fuzzy
"definition" of acronym in the HTML specs lead to dropping it for XHTML2
and HTML5.

> #3. Do not markup acronyms where it is already expanded. For example:
> "Evaluation and Report Language (<acronym title="Evaluation and Report
> Language">EARL</acronym>)..." is redundant and unnecessary.

Should we do not markup them, or should we not expand them? EARL is
still an acronym and _could_ still be marked like this:
<acronym>EARL</acronym>. However there may be no use for AT, while there
may be other uses.

--
Johannes Koch
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT