RE: OWL constructors

From: Carlos Iglesias <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:06:23 +0200
To: "Shadi Abou-Zahra" <shadi@w3.org>, "ERT WG" <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

> As per my action item I've checked with Ivan and got
> confirmation that adding OWL constructs is a good idea. He adds:
>
> > B.t.w, this is actually the core of what the new OWL group calls
> > Profiles, especially OWL RL profiles:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-profiles/#OWL_2_RL
> >
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-profiles/#Reasoning_in_OWL_2_RL_and_RDF_Grap
> > hs_using_Rules
>
> CarlosI, would be great if you could get suggestions from Diego.

I have checked with Diego and he told me that the main thing it to declare the classes as rdfs:Class and owl:Class instances. In RDF/XML we can use <rdf:type>, for example:

<rdfs:Class rdf:about="....">
    <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class"/>
    <!-- ... -->
</rdfs:Class>

Which is the abbreviated for:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="...">
    <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class"/>
    <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
</rdf:Description>

Simmilary, he also suggests to declare the properties as owl:DatatypeProperty or owl:ObjectProperty, apart from rdf:Property.

Regards,
 CI.

Carlos Iglesias

Fundación CTIC