Re: Automated Web Accessibility Checkers

Hi Sharon,

At 17:38 18/02/2008, Sharon Perry wrote:
>Hello Everyone
>
>If you need any (free) automated web accessibility checkers, then Virtual
>Hosting.com has drawn up a list of 25 Free Website Checkers -
>http://www.virtualhosting.com/blog/2008/test-me-25-freebie-website-accessibility-checkers/.
>
>The checkers are split into three sections -
>General, Disability, and Usability - and there is a brief description of
>what each one does.

Thanks for this URL.
This is a good opportunity to point out that the WAI ERT and EO
working groups also have a database of accessibility evaluation tools at
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/>.
I believe it contains over 50 tools and there is an RSS feed with
notifications of updates.

Some tools in the list at VirtualHosting are not in the WAI list (but
some are not accessibility tools in a strict sense):
* UITest.com
* Webnauts
* Graybit
* 1-Hit Load Time Analyzer
* JuicyStudio's CSS Analyser

The new WAVE 4 is not in any of the above lists
(<http://wave.webaim.org/>, <http://www.webaim.org/blog/introducing-wave-4/>).

>However, although automated checkers will only check the easy bits - e.g.
>colour contrast, HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style
>Sheet) code, etc - i.e. the bits for which an algorithm can be written,
>common sense and awareness of accessibility issues are still required.

True. I don't know of any tools that can fully check more than 30%
(or was it 25%?) of the WCAG 1.0 checkpoints.

Best regards,

Christophe

>Best Regards
>
>Sharon