Re: validity levels

From: Carlos A Velasco <Carlos.Velasco@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:01:20 +0200
To: Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
Cc: public-wai-ert@w3.org

Hi Shadi,

Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Carlos A Velasco wrote:
>> Thus for my own understanding (since Shadi wants me to do some
>> subclassing here ;-) ), let us say I have a Java compiler report on some
>> compilation units: how do I report the compiler warnings? As a subclass
>> of cannotTell? I don't think the definition fits at all: code compilers
>> *do know* what a warning is. (... and we all know about the Bobby use
>> case problem.)
>
> This is an output result of a compiler, not a test for a testable
> statement.

you are the computer scientist here ;-) but I believe a compiler does
much more than generating binaries.

> If the test is "does the Java unit compile" or "is the Java
> code valid" then these warnings you describe *are* subclasses of 'pass'.
> What are you testing for?

If you take, let us say, a c/c++ compiler with different optimization
levels, warnings could be a subclass of "pass" or "fail": it is not
clear to me which one to take.

Going back to Johannes example with the CSS validator: you can see this
warning:

# used by org.w3c.css.values.CssColor
warning.out-of-range: %s is out of range

for a color value out of range. Although it may be interpreted as a
"pass", it could also be "fail". I am in favour of having warning as an
option.

regards,
carlos

--
Dr Carlos A Velasco - http://access.fit.fraunhofer.de/
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT