Re: validity levels

From: Carlos A Velasco <Carlos.Velasco@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:57:19 +0200
To: "Paul Walsh, Segala" <paulwalsh@segala.com>
Cc: 'Carlos Iglesias' <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>, 'Charles McCathieNevile' <chaals@opera.com>, 'Johannes Koch' <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>, 'ERT group' <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

Hi Paul, Charles, all,

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:

> Warnings (in tools) shouldn't exist as they're pretty meaningless to
> experienced testers and only give inexperienced 'users' the wrong impression
> about the state of results. It's not a bad idea for EARL to support it as a
> means of bookmarking stuff.

Thus for my own understanding (since Shadi wants me to do some
subclassing here ;-) ), let us say I have a Java compiler report on some
compilation units: how do I report the compiler warnings? As a subclass
of cannotTell? I don't think the definition fits at all: code compilers
*do know* what a warning is. (... and we all know about the Bobby use
case problem.)

> Tools that give warnings and hence give users the wrong impression about the
> compliance of a Web site, are a large part of the problem of inaccessible
> sites claiming accessibility compliance. An extreme example is the overuse
> of Bobby to demonstrate compliance with Triple-A. Only the seriously
> inexperienced would do this. But it happens a lot, allowing Watchfire to
> have healthy Christmas parties.

Maybe their parties are not due to Bobby sales ;-)

regards,
carlos

--
Dr Carlos A Velasco - http://access.fit.fraunhofer.de/
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT