RE: Re: [Moderator Action] Comment: 23. XHTML Metainformation Attributes Module

> Are we going to follow this up with the HTML group?
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

I think we really should, but I don't like the current P3P aproach at
all.

IMO if the link element is going to be used with the EARL reports there
are several conditions we should observe, ideally:

- The relationship type should be clear established: accessibility,
privacy, etc.
- The relationship role should be clear established too: conformance,
preferences, etc.
- The format need to be known: p3p, earl, etc.
- The format version need to be known too: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc.

This way user agents could know all the necessary about the linked
document without the necessity of explore the document itself.

And this is why I don't like to adopt the current P3P approach:

<link rel="earlv1" href="http://www.wats.ca/w3c/earl_report.rdf" />

IMO again this is a bad use of the rel attribute because it should
describe relationships and I think that earlv1 is not a relationship at
all, it's a format. In addition, what happens when the earl become
updated with a v2?

So, I would prefer something like:

<link rel="accessibility" role="conformance" type="application/earlv1"
href="www.example.com/earlreport.rdf" title="EARL accessibility report"
/>

I think this approach fulfils the previous desired conditions and is
more flexible, allowing things like:

<link rel="accessibility" role="information" type="text/html"
href="www.example.com/accessibility.html" title="Information about the
accessibility applied in this site" />

<link rel="mobile" role="conformance" type="application/earlv1"
href="www.example.com/earlreport.rdf" title="EARL mobileOK conformance
report" />

Waiting for your thoughts...

Regards,