Re: ERT Action Item: Use Case Scenarios for EARL

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:28:42 +1000, Johannes Koch
<johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> So the EARL report has to be created and linked to the logo. It will not
> be a link to some on-the-fly test like with HTML/CSS validation.

This is normal. The statements describing acceptable use of W3C
conformance logos say, roughly "if you pass the tests, then you canput the
logo on, and you should link to something that can be used to justify it
or explain it". (The use of the logos by sites such as CSSZengarden,
simply as a link where you can check the validity, is therefore IMHO
formally a breach of copyright since it is an unauthorised use, as well as
misleading).

In other words, until you have done the CSS or HTML validation and
generated the report you are explicitly breaching copyright law by using
those logos too. The fact that someone can check that, by making the logo
a link, is just an added bonus that the web allows.

So there is no real difference, except that until we have a process that
allows a complete and correct automatic accessibility evaluation the "on
the fly" process involves verifying manually derived results as well as
automatically derived ones. The major difference is in how hard this is to
do, not the basic process itself. And there is no intrinsic reason why
your tests need to be manual or automatic based on what the original set
of tests were - the deciding factor should be the quality of tests
available to you, to compare to the claimed results.

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org