Re: Scope for EARL

From: Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:27:07 +0100
To: "'Johannes Koch'" <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>, <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

Hi,

It is intentional that EARL is kept generic to serve most quality
assurance testing. The Subject is a URI so could point to any (RDF)
resource, not even necessarily on the Web (e.g.
<http://www.example.org/toasters/mytoaster>). Also the Testcase can be
any test, maybe even proprietary to others (e.g.
<http://www.example.org/toasters/tests#crashtest>).

The only real restriction of EARL is the result which is a predetermined
set (although they can be subclassed for further granularity, they
remain to be one of Pass/Fail/NotApplicable/NotTested).

One operational example of that is the W3C HTML validator which can
output the validation result as EARL. This is not an accessibility test
per-se but testing a document (i.e. instance) to its own formal grammar
(i.e. specification)...

Regards,
  Shadi