Re: EARL and describing tests Re: Agenda for F2F at TP

From: Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:35:29 +0100
To: "'Karl Dubost'" <karl@w3.org>, <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

Hi Karl, all,

> Story: I'm going out only if the temperature is +25C, it's sunny, and

> it's sunday.
> Question:
> 	Assertion: Do you go out? <URI_assertion>
> 		Test 1: if T > 25 -> yes, if T < 25 -> no
> 		Test 2: if W = sun -> yes, if W = rain -> no
> 		Test 3: if D = sunday -> yes, if D = Monday, ...,
Saturday -> no
> 	Report: (EARL)
> 		Assertion yes, no, comment

I think this is where the confusion lies, and I think some of us all
mean the same even if we describe it in slightly different ways:

Even though at the end of the day, you want a yes/no/donno type of
answer on an "assertion level" (i.e. "conformance to a guideline"), you
may often want to *reason* (confirm/prove/attest/...) your statements
with specific test results.

For example: "I will not go out *because* it is not sunny".

My question is: do we want to include something like (what Charles
coined as) an "evidence" clause into EARL assertions? Some kind of a
construct (maybe OWL, RDFS, or anything else) that is basically a
collection of the sub-tests executed to come to a conclusion on an
assertion level (in this case it would be "Test 1", "Test 2", and "Test

If so, are there any suggestions for how that construct could look like?