Re[2]: Survey page

Hello Eric,

thank you for your answer.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009, 10:35:04 AM, you wrote:

> Visually I like the second version much better but there are some
> problems with those fieldsets. The fieldset’s legend text is read out
> by screen readers at each label. For example (version 1): “Where do
> you live? In the city – Where do you live? In the suburbs – Where do
> you live? In the country”.

> This is fine in version 1 in version 2 you’d get “General Information.
> In the city – General Information. In the suburbs – General
> Information. In the country.” which is not optimal.

Yes you're right. However the legend repetition problem disappear if you use the arrow keys instead of TAB to navigate through the form (tested today by a blind colleague with Jaws). But I agree with you that's when the repetition happen maybe really confusing ... so my second version must be revised.

However I still think that fieldset tag is intended to *group* something related to the same "theme", and in the first version of the survey we have a fieldset for every question, and question text is coded as legend ... for me this is structurally and semantically wrong.

Anyhow, are we sure that we need all those fieldsets for a simple form like that?

> I personally prefer using headings instead of legends for the reason
> of voice clutter. This is especially true for the long legends further
> down the page. The text “Why do you prefer a car? (required)” in front
> of all the choices may confuse users as they may think that every item
> is required.

I agree.

> Aside: I think that we won’t use the tabindex on the form elements as
> they are unnecessary here (but HTML is provisional so this may be on
> your list anyway).

Yes, I haven't yet changed the original HTML: before making other changes we have to agree for the best solution.

> Best Regards,
> Eric

Regards

--