Survey page

From: Marco Bertoni <m.bertoni@webprofession.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:02:11 +0100
To: BAD TF <public-wai-eo-badtf@w3.org>
Hello everyone,

first off all excuse my long silence, but I'm always hard pressed with my work (that's the reason why I can't attend most teleconferences). I've been working on the improvement of the survey page layout.

You'll see two version, one is a simple improvement of the current page, in the other I made more changes.

XHTML and CSS are only provisional, before going on we have to decide what version is good.

1 - improvements to the current page: http://www.semplicemente.org/_test/EOWG/BAD/form.html

- removed right column and increased form width
- made some text changes: need feedback.
- "(required)" instead of "(this a required field)" (see http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G131)
- reduced legend font dimension. Reduced line breaks <br> in legends, the ones that are still here help to avoid IE layout problems with largest text size.
- changed h2 style and removed numbering (with numbering they look like ordered list items rather than titles)
- increased space between form buttons
- etc.

2 - new layout:  http://www.semplicemente.org/_test/EOWG/BAD/form_2.html

Fieldset purpose is "to group thematically related controls and labels" (see the code example in: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.10)

So, semantically speaking, we have to *group* all field that refer to the same theme, and in our survey themes are:

- General Information
- Habits
- Traffic perception
- Comments

Anyhow, IMHO fieldset must always *group* something. What do you think?

Looking forward for your comments!

Regards,

--
Marco Bertoni
International Webmasters Association / The HTML Writers Guild