Re: Feedback Before-After Demo

I am a web developper and I am quite reluctant about this "academic" example
that do not provide an actual content.

Why not to propose a list of "sexy" accessible web sites that could inspire
the web developpers ? A special honorific prize could even be organized ...

Isabelle

Le Friday 10 October 2008 10:38:54 Shadi Abou-Zahra, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thank you for your comments. Many of these are about the coding so let's
> discuss them when we implement the changes. For now, we need to identify
> any functional changes to the Demo that would better highlight that WCAG
>   also improves the user experience for older people.
>
> Do you have specific thoughts about the types of accessibility barriers
> that we should further include in the Demo?
>
> Regards,
>    Shadi
>
> Michael Stenitzer wrote:
> > dear all,
> >
> > a bit late my additional comments on the before and after demo
> > (no claim to be complete):
> >

> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/2005/Demo/after/index
> >
> > * teasers in right column: link the headline, make the whole teaser
> >   clickable with progressive enhancement techniques, inkl. hover-effects
> >   (CSS,JS)
> >
> >   rationale:
> >   - increase clickable areas.
> >   - make areas clickable that might be expected to be links.
> >   - indicate clickability with visual effects.
> >
> > * drop-down nav in the header (quick menu):
> >   rationale: i don't see any reason for this. it is a mere duplication
> >   of the main navigation and needs much more fine motor skills (and
> >   clicks) than ordinary links. it actually hides information instead of
> >   providing additional link opportunities.
> >
> >   if you want to show an accessible drop-down-menu make it more useful:
> >   different links, more links (thats actually the reason why we use
> >   those items), consider a collapsed UL with progressive enhancement or
> >   eg. make the quicknav a ordinary list of links and place it somewhere
> >   else, eg. in the footer like many websites do it nowadays.
> >

> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/2005/Demo/after/info
> >
> > * increase / improve use of whitespace
> >   rationale: distinction of unrelated information. increase readability.
> >
> >   eg. around the table in the bottom,
> >   before and after the headings - some are closer to the previous
> >   paragraphs than to the next ones.
> >
> >   the image boxes are positioned in a way that it is visually not clear
> >   that they belong to the regarding sections. (they are wrongly aligned,
> >   at least in firefox)
> >

> > * improve legibility of copy. split into several paragraphs and maybe
> >   use lists.
> >
> >   rationale: increase readability and scan-ability of text.
> >

> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/2005/Demo/after/data
> >
> > * reorder page structure for better understanding of the page.
> >   split Frank Zappa and Thelonius Mank (nice selection, BTW!) into
> >   separate sections.
> >
> > * increase whitespace, do not use nested lists inline but make them real
> >   nested lists (in the T&C section)
> >

> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/2005/Demo/after/form
> >
> > * link logo to the home
> >
> > * link the teaser images in a consistent manner (compared to home)
> >
> > * reconsider LEGEND elements' length
> >   rationale: screenreaders will read the legend with every label in the
> [...]

Isabelle Motte
Coordinatrice du stage multimédia CUD
Biologie - UMDB
Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix
Rue de Bruxelles,61
5000 Namur
081/724386