Re: Issue-163 Update of Members that are Consortia themselves

Hi Alan, all

On Mon, 08 Feb 2016 07:13:28 +0100, J. Alan Bird <abird@w3.org> wrote:

> Steve and company,

(That includes you, as a member of the group ;) ).

>   I've taken my next shot at the language and THINK I have everything we
> need in the current version.  As a reminder it is located here.

A few points.

Regarding the Introductory Membership changes, it seems that W3C is
effectively offering restrictive memberships in certain cases, e.g. lower
price for fewer privileges. Allowing this provides a general mechanism for
different classes of membership, but I suggest the text we use be "subject
to further restrictions included in the membership agreement".

For representatives of a Consortium, I think we're not quite there.

1. For the most part W3C doesn't accord numeric value to vote on issues of
substance. The exceptions are elections for TAG and AB - while I think
those cases matter I propose we handle the Working Group case first.

We currently have in the Process Document itself (section 5.2.1)

"A participant must represent at most one organization in a Working Group
or Interest Group."

So the constraint in your proposed text: " and not the particular
interests of their employers." (first and second bullets, end of the last
sentence) seems redundant at best. I propose we remove it.

In principle, people could represent one or more organisations when they
participate in W3C. I think the most extreme case I can recall from real
W3C history was a W3C Fellow, who was therefore both a member of the Team
and a representative of a Member organisation that employed him, and who
furthermore represented his own company which was also a Member.
Pretending that somebody cannot provide information from their various
perspectives seems counter-productive, so in terms of presenting the
perspectives of multiple organisations it seems perfectly reasonable that
one person represent multiple perspectives.

There is a separate issue in which I propose we remove the constraint on
people representing more than one organisation, but I do recognise that
people appointed through a member consortium should primarily represent
the consortium in terms of "voting", so I think the broad thrust of your
proposal makes good sense.

2. I would make the ponts about representation etc apply to all
representatives of the consortium. It is not unusual for a Consortium to
have officers who are employees of one or other member - perhaps paid by
the consortium, perhaps on secondment - consider for example W3C fellows.

3. If Consortia participate in technical work, the problem of IPR is
pretty hairy. I think it is reasonable to expect that if someone's
employer has asked them to represent a Consortium of which they are a
part, that representative comes with an IPR commitment from both the
Consortium *and* their employer. I realise this is a potential
disincentive, but allowing people to bypass a commitment from their
empoyer by being nominated through a consortium strikes me as the sort of
case for which we *want* to provide disincentives.

cheers

Chaals