Re: Moving the process to github…

> On Dec 29, 2016, at 5:55 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
> CCing Peter...
>
> On 12/29/2016 04:52 PM, fantasai wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm. Was that hard to set up? If we could match that on the current
>>> dvcs.w3.org repo we would have a continuous history…
>>
>> You'd have to ask Peter Linss about that; he's the one who set it up.
>>
>> ~fantasai

It wasn’t particularly hard to set up, it’s based on the hg-git extension which gives mercurial the ability to push and pull git to/from git repositories.

If you have an existing hg repo you’ll want to use it at least once to convert your history over to git anyway. Once you’ve done that, it’s just a matter of setting up hooks to push & pull when there are commits on either end (I’m happy to send particulars to Ted if he wants to set this up).

The commit history does in fact map back and forth 1:1 without loss, the caveats are around branches. Mercurial does named branches somewhat differently from git, so git branches are mapped into bookmarks in the hg repo. Provided you don’t do a lot of branching, this generally isn’t an issue (and if you do a lot of branching, teach your hg users to just use bookmarks instead of named branches).

That said, there is a maintenance burden and as Geoffrey mentioned, unless you have a compelling need/use for keeping mercurial access, I’d recommend you do a one-time conversion to git and then mirror the git repo in w3.org <http://w3.org/> space (as much as I personally favor hg over git). For the CSSWG, not only did we have editors/test writers reluctant to switch to git, but we also have tooling closely tied to the mercurial repos and the burden of rewriting that tooling was more than the effort to maintain the hg/git sync. For the record, I also maintain git mirrors of the repos along side the hg mirrors on git.csswg.org <http://git.csswg.org/> (though the git mirrors on our server are currently read-only).

Peter