Re: process.next wish list

On 2015-04-15 12:14, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
>> Any temporary rules shouldn't allow any TR publications after charter expiration, unless W3C wants to state that the patent policy applies to work done in WGs with expired charters.
>>   I wouldn't allow any work on specs  (or W3C should clarify whether the patent policy applies to WGs without a charter).  They should work exclusively on a Charter, or on drafting an email asking for an extension :).
> I agree with most of the points here, but I wonder if we really need to put this in the *process* document or trust the Director and Team to adopt and execute appropriate *policies* to ensure that we don't have this problem in the future?  I lean toward the latter.  There has been a problem in the past with WGs running long past their chartered dates, the AC and AB have made it clear that we find this unacceptable, and W3C management seemed to be promising to keep a closer eye on this.  Let's give them a year or so to make the problem go away, and if it hasn't, THEN we can talk about tweaks to the process.

That's already been done.  These have been rejected for process 2015.
That was a list for process 2016.   If it's fixed, it won't need to be
in the Process doc, though it may be worth having it recorded somewhere.

I'm coming off 6 months of trying to get specs trapped in expired
working groups out, and I really don't want that to happen again. This
has real impacts on willingness to start work when it can just get
trapped in an expired WG, where that WG couldn't possibly be approved in
charter renewal or even an extension, but also isn't closed.  The NFC WG
just closed and there is a new NFC CG to replace it.  SysApps still
wandering around bumping into things, a year after it was clear there
were very serious problems and 6 months after the charter expired.