Re: Snapshots (was: w3process-ISSUE-124)

From: <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 11:32:36 +0200
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>
03.10.2014, 20:46, "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>:

> While it is potentially just adding fuel to a fire, I will mention
> that as a developer, I like the idea that WHATWG had with
> implementation status flags on sections and I feel like that helps
> what you're saying Sam.

I don't think this risks adding any fuel to a flame war - i believe there is violent agreement on this everywhere.

The current W3C Process says

[[[
A Public Working Draft is published on the W3C's Technical Reports page [TR] for review, [... and ...]

should document outstanding issues, and parts of the document on which the Working Group does not have consensus, ...
]]]

While this doesn't necessarily mean implementation status implementation contributes significantly to establishing consensus.

and for all advancements in status (this doesn't apply to making a new WD, but that strikes me as a bug we might want to fix)
[[[
should provide information about implementations known to the Working Group.
]]]

The precise details of exactly how to provide the information are probably best left to the Working Group or editors, although some common tools would be helpful.

cheers

Chaals