Re: w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 22:14:33 +0100
Cc: Revising W3C Process Community Group <public-w3process@w3.org>
To: Art Barstow <Art.Barstow@nokia.com>

On 2014-09 -08, at 13:18, Revising W3C Process Community Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/124
>
> Raised by: Arthur Barstow
> On product: Normative Reference Policy
>
> If a group has consensus that an "external reference" (such as a WHATWG spec) meets the group's requirements, then with respect to publishing a Technical, such a reference should be permitted. However, based on my conversations with Consortium staff last week, the Director will NOT permit a Proposed Recommendation to include a normative reference to a WHATWG spec.
>
> Although I disagree with the Director's position here (because I think the processes should defer to the opinion of the group and implementors), the Issue is the Normative Reference Policy [NRP] should explicitly identify those external groups the Director has explicitly blacklisted. As such, and to help avoid confusion, set expectations, etc., NRP should be updated to explicitly blacklist WHATWG.

Art

By misrepresenting me here,  that the WhatWG group had been explicitly blacklisted by me, you did me and the whole group a massive disservice.  You owe me personally and I think the group an apology.  You wasted a lot of everyone's time in putting fuel for the the resulting flame wars.

I am sorry I didn't see the source of this earlier,  I spent a lot of time following the polarized and bitter further down river.

The name even of this issue itself is quite inflammatory just itself.  I am not impressed.

Tim Berners-Lee
Director, W3C