Re: Call for Consensus - "Use 'Schulze STV' for voting"

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:47:08 +0200
To: "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org>
On Fri, 16 May 2014 14:35:03 +0200, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

> On 5/15/2014 8:02 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this issue has run around for a long time. This is a first attempt to
>> record a *consensus* among this group, on the following proposition:
>>
>> For elections where there is more than one candidate to be chosen, such
>> as TAG and AB elections, W3C should adopt the Schulze method of
>> determining the winners as described in
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_STV
>>
>> Please vote in reply to this thread, before May 30. I will tally the
>> results on 1 June (although they will be public, so anyone else can do
>> so too).
>>
>> Please do not reply to this thread *except* to vote.
>>
>> Silence will be considered assent to any consensus position, without
>> prejudice to other preferences. (In english, not voting means "I don't
>> really care right now").
>
> I think it is unreasonable to have a voting system where silence is
> considered assent to consensus.  Especially since many of the voting
> public  might not even read this thread.

It appears to me that this approach is the common property of *all* votes
I have *ever* seen conducted at W3C, but I'm willing to entertain the idea
that it is wrong.

> I think that "silence as assent" is far worse than either the current
> AB/TAG voting system or STV. Hence I believe it is an inappropriate
> means to establish a consensus/vote in this case.

How else do you propose we interpret members of this group not voting on
this issue?

> To be clear, I therefore explicitly am not being silent.

If you would explicitly support or reject the proposition that would help
gauge whether there is a consensus for or against in this CG. I cannot
tell if you mean to explicitly oppose the proposal, or simply want to
register an objection to the fact I plan to assume not voting is the same
as saying "I don't really care about this question right now".

cheers

Chaals