Re: Call for Consensus - "Use 'Schulze STV' for voting"

From: Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 08:35:03 -0400
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>

On 5/15/2014 8:02 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this issue has run around for a long time. This is a first attempt to
> record a *consensus* among this group, on the following proposition:
>
> For elections where there is more than one candidate to be chosen,
> such as TAG and AB elections, W3C should adopt the Schulze method of
> determining the winners as described in
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_STV
>
> Please vote in reply to this thread, before May 30. I will tally the
> results on 1 June (although they will be public, so anyone else can do
> so too).
>
> Please do not reply to this thread *except* to vote.
>
> Silence will be considered assent to any consensus position, without
> prejudice to other preferences. (In english, not voting means "I don't
> really care right now").

I think it is unreasonable to have a voting system where silence is
considered assent to consensus.  Especially since many of the voting
public  might not even read this thread.

I think that "silence as assent" is far worse than either the current
AB/TAG voting system or STV.  Hence I believe it is an inappropriate
means to establish a consensus/vote in this case.

To be clear, I therefore explicitly am not being silent.