Re: Voting again…

On 05/05/2014 13:22, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> There have been specific complaints about people sending "campaigning"
> emails to AC reps - which is against the terms of access to the list. I
> have always considered doing so inappropriate, and it appears I'm not
> alone. There has recently been a move toward people clarifying their
> positions in open discussion, which I think is a positive way to get
> more information on candidates, but I frankly don't support encouraging
> "election campaigns".

I disagree so much with what you wrote above I am a bit shocked, I must
say. So it's an election but candidates cannot present themselves. What
kind of election and electoral system is that? I don't care what ACs
think or don't think of campaigning and I don't care about the terms of
the list because candidacy statements allow to highlight strategies and
often issues that remained under the radar. If candidates cannot use the
only way of contacting all ACs they have, the election process is
biased because people who contributed little to the AC Forum have
strictly no chance of making their points. FURTHERMORE, I remind you
Members can nominate *anyone* to the AB election, including people who
are *not* ACs. In that case, they contributed *nothing* to the AC
Forum and enforcing the mailing-list terms would mean they just cannot
campaign at all. FWIW, Samsung's nominee to the current AB election is
_not_ our AC-Rep.

Let's be serious. If we use the term "election" and campaigning is
forbidden by the terms of the AC Forum, the terms of the AC Forum have
to be changed. Period, from my POV.

</Daniel>