Re: How to reach AC Newbies and why is there such a Large "Silent Majority"? [Was: Re: Don't disclose election results]

On Jun 4, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/4/14 9:44 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> I think we've also established participation info should be published. Knowing whether an election was representative or not really is the minimum.
>
> I just created a new "Voting" product <https://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/products/15>. I think the folks that feel strongly about this topic should submit Issues.
>
> (In general, I can pretty much live with the existing process although I admit I haven't (yet) spent time delving into the details of alternate proposal(s). I also wonder if there is some actual/real data from other cases that clearly illustrate how using the current system vs. the proposed system made a substantive difference.)

I think there are roughly two big threads: the voting process and data about election results. Though little light has been shed on why the former needs change, it's clear the latter is lacking and W3C can do better. I think these issues are orthogonal and should be kept orthogonal. We can agree to publish more election data - number of votes cast, turnout rate etc - without changing the voting system. Binding the two seems a good recipe to achieve nothing.