New Editor's draft

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:16:09 +0200
To: "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>
Hi folks,

There is a new 14 August editor's draft of the Process, as the first step
in developing "Process2015".

As always it's at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html
and the Mercurial changelog is https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/

As with the current (1 August) Process, it is a single-page document.

The first change in this draft is to remove Activities - like Domains
(which have never been mentioned in the Process) these are an internal
management device, and the Advisory Board resolved a number of times since
2006 to remove them from "the next version of the Process".

There are still a bit of text left in chapter 5, for things that would
obvioously change the normative requirements if they were simply deleted.
E.g., charters don't require any review to be extended, but Activities
did. I'd like to have explicit resolutions for what we do with these
dangling bits.

I also simplified the acknowledgements section.

The old chapters are still in the repository. So far only acks.html,
activities.html and to a lesser extent groups.html are noticeably
different from the content of the single-page version, but I expect more
divergence as we do more work. So at some point soon I'll update them to
point to the single-page version.

Note that I have tried to make sure we haven't lost any #fragmentID since
the 2005 Process (although the ones related to activities now point to
things in the changelog).

There are various other changes I would like to make (largely removing
things), but I'll write proposals based on specific issues. And there are
outstanding issues where people wanted to add brand-new requirements. Let
the games begin…

cheers

Chaals