Re: Overall structure of the W3C

Very interesting discussion.

There can only be progress through change.
However, shouldn't a discussion about potential changes to the W3C be
based on goals?
The document Mark pointed out,
<https://www.w3.org/wiki/AB/2014-2015_Priorities>, has some attempts at
this, particularly 3. and 4. of the priorities.

In a sense I am following Dan on this and would also reserve judgement
on which changes have to be made.

I would propose the following approach:

1. Identify which partial goals W3C needs to achieve in the short, mid
and long term (measurable and achievable goals!) in order to its mission
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission>
2. Determine which steps would have to be taken to achieve those goals
3. Identify what in the structure or the process of W3C is hindering
item 2 and find solutions
4. Make the changes, reach the goals
5. Reevaluate and go back to 1.

The goals need to follow the SMART
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria> paradigm.
Any proposed change would have to have a clearly identifiable
contribution to achieving the set goals.

Beyond that I see the discussion loosing its drive due to the issues
being diluted.

Kai