Re: Spec organizations and prioritization

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 22:27:35 +0100, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
>> On 3/25/2012 4:05 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> I don't think there's agreement that web standards can be completed.
>>> Certainly HTML, CSS, DOM, JavaScript etc. are all very much in flux.
>>
>> The AC has a clear expectation that standards get to REC level and
>> they are chartered on that basis.  The Working Groups have an
>> obligation to fulfill the commitments made at chartering and to my
>> knowledge are diligently attempting to do so.
>>
>> I'm not minimizing difficulties since Web development (happily)
>> continues to be an area of constant innovation.
>
> That seems like an accurate description of the current process. When
> can we start to look ahead given what we learned thus far?

Not sure I understand the scope of your question, but here are a few points:

1.  From a broad process perspective, we concluded that we need a new
means to "start quickly" and be more agile.  We introduced Community
Groups which are quite a departure from anything we had in the past.
Participation is generally easier and licensing is permissive.  In much
less than a year there are already 60+ groups and 700+ participants.
Including this group!

2. For normative RECs from Working Groups where there is long-standing
momentum behind the existing process, we are also looking for
improvement.  The AB has asked for input from many folks (including
yourself and including this CG) and has received many inputs that have
been tabulated in the AB's List of Concerns.  This CG (and others) are
being asked to prioritize these concerns.

3. Meanwhile, we need to move ahead balancing innovation and
standardization.  Elsewhere on this thread Daniel weighed-in that CSS is
doing exactly that and I agree.  Each Working Group is looking for an
approach that best fits its situation.  For example, HTML has chosen a
Time-box approach.

I hope this addresses your question.