Re: Spec organizations and prioritization

Le mardi 20 mars 2012 à 06:04 -0700, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
> > Is there a subset of XMLHttpRequest Level 1 that would have worked — I
> > think so, based on fact that every browser out there implements XHR, and
> > there seems to be pretty good interoperability. How difficult it would
> > be to design a spec around that subset, I can't tell; but I think that
> > subset could have become a Recommendation years ago.
>
> All the features were implemented long ago. That was never the problem.
> The problem is edge cases and getting implementations aligned.

Sure, but these edge cases clearly don't have such a big impact on
interop that it prevented large-scale deployment; so I think it would
have been better to ship a spec leaving the edge cases undefined (which
is in any case the situation we're in now), rather than trying to tackle
all the edge cases and never get the RF commitments.

Dom