Re: html4 vs html5 and "superseded RECs" when there isn't a new REC

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 10:35 +0000, Carr, Wayne wrote:
> With HTML4 we have the formal W3C Recommendation for HTML, but no one
> would want that as the basis for a UA.  It has been superseded by
> HTML5.   But, people still write that html4 is the html spec and html5
> is in the future.  Obviously, that doesn’t reflect the Web Browsers
> out there which have embraced html5.  But html5 is still years away
> from going to REC.
>
> It seems in this (hopefully) unusual situation, there should be some
> way to mark the html4 REC with a note that indicates it has been
> superseded by html5 in implementations, with a pointer to the latest
> W3C html WG TR draft in the html4 spec.  And start more frequent
> updates of the TR html5 WD so it isn’t so far out of date.
>
> Things have changed and for html5 drafts are acting like RECs.  W3Cs
> documents should reflect that.

We actually got a request from the WebApps related to the DOM
specifications. The Group didn't come up with specific wording yet but
we already told them that we could add a note on the REC if asked.

In the case of HTML4, the right approach would be for the HTML Working
Group to discuss this and come up with a proposal.

Philippe