Re: snapshots vs living standards

On Mar 2, 2012, at 19:27 , Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> In a recent private discussion spawned from one on a W3C mailing list, I
> was defending the "living standard" model we use at the WHATWG for
> developing the HTML standard (where we just have a standard that we
> update more or less every day to make it better and better) as opposed
> to the "snapshot" model the W3C traditionally uses where one has a
> "draft" that nobody is supposed to implement, and when it's "ready",
> that draft is carved in stone and placed on a pedestal. The usual
> argument is something like "engineering depends on static definitions,
> because otherwise communication becomes unreliable". I wrote a lengthy
> reply. I include it below, in case anyone is interested.

This post could have been a good start for an interesting discussion, but sadly Ian's definition of the "snapshot" model is largely a fantasy-grade strawman so there doesn't seem to be that much room for talking.

Coming up soon: I'm teaching a W3C online course on Mobile Web Apps
http://www.w3devcampus.com/writing-great-web-applications-for-mobile/