Weekly digest of W3C news and trends: Automotive and Web Platform Business Group, W3Conf live stream, BBC supports DRM into HTML5, ...

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:03:48 +0100
To: public-w3c-digest@w3.org

This is the 15-22 February 2013 edition of a “weekly digest of W3C news
and trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C
Membership and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1])
[sent separately]. This digest aggregates information about W3C from
online media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is perceived in online

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

Notably this week :

- over 800 stories about W3C on Twitter in 7 days.
- almost 3000 mentions of W3C in 7 days, with a peak on 21 Feb (687
mentions) that matches the start of our 2nd W3Conf, 21-22 Feb, San

- With 55281 Twitter followers, net increase of 498 followers in the past

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* (82) Automotive and Web Platform Business Group
BG: <http://www.w3.org/community/autowebplatform/>
ZDnet fr:
QNX blog:
W3C Tweet: <http://twitter.com/w3c/status/304616974321852416>

* W3Conf live stream
(54) Ustream: <http://www.ustream.tv/w3c>
(129) SitePoint Streams:

* (47) W3C Blog: W3C HTML5 Training

* (50) W3C Blog: Testing the Open Web Platform
(50) Blog:
(21) Tobie’s tweet: <http://twitter.com/tobie/status/304349083789848578>

* (22) W3C staff and tech experts at MWC, 25-28 Feb

* Turtle is a W3C Candidate Recommendation:
(28) <http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/CR-turtle-20130219/>

* DRM into HTML5:
(230) Wired: BBC supports attempt to sneak DRM into HTML5
(763) Boingboing:

* (107) Webmonkey: Interview | Lea Verou on Why Web Standards Matter and
How You Can Help

W3C in the Press (or blogs)

9 articles this week:
  * 3 (French) about Automotive and Web Platform Business Group
  * 4 about BBC’s support of DRM into HTML5

Selection below.

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords on our Press clippings page:
http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    Un groupe W3C pour intégrer le Web aux véhicules (A W3C group to
integrate the Web to vehicles)
    Programmez! (22 February)

    BBC supports attempt to sneak DRM into HTML5
    Wired UK (17 February)

    HTML5 : le W3C planche sur la protection anticopie de vidéos (HTML5:
W3C is working on the copy protection for video)
    MacGeneration (15 February)

    Interview | Lea Verou on Why Web Standards Matter and How You Can Help
    Webmonkey | Wired.com (15 February)

  Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33643220001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/