Weekly digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:37:42 +0100
To: public-w3c-digest@w3.org

This is the 4-11 January 2013 edition of a “weekly digest of W3C news and
trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C Membership
and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1]) [sent
separately]. This digest aggregates information about W3C from online
media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is perceived in online media.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

Notably this week:

- 1500 stories about W3C on Twitter in 7 days.
- over 2700 mentions of W3C in 7 days, with two peaks on 8 Jan (547
mentions) and 9 Jan (650 mentions). The top stories are respectively Bruce
Lawson’s interview of Ian Hickson, and XPath 3.0, XQuery 3.0, XQueryX 3.0
published as Candidate Recommendations.
- With 52418 Twitter followers, net increase of 982 followers in the past
3 weeks (348 in the past week).
- 13 posts that dlvr.it posted to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between
Jan 02 and Jan 09 got 32.4K clicks, delivered to 60.4K connections.

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* (86) TAG election announced last night
<http://twitter.com/w3c/status/289496596595474432> and some other tweets.

* (20) Test The Web Forward Sydney

* (28) XPath 3.0, XQuery 3.0, XQueryX 3.0 are W3C Candidate Recommendations

* (36) Bruce Lawson’s interview of Ian Hickson

* (876) Blog: Things I learned by pretending to be blind for a week
via Chris Heilmann, [[ "Being W3C valid means jack" Things I learned by
pretending to be blind for a week ]]
cf. <https://twitter.com/codepo8/status/288333562858586113>

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

Below is a selection of articles.

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords on our Press clippings page:
http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    Khaled Koubaa, Google Afrique du Nord : «Il est temps pour le Maghreb
de créer du contenu et des services en ligne» (Khaled Koubaa, Google North
Africa: "It is time for the Maghreb to create content and online services")
    Le Quotidien d'Oran (9 January)

    Interview with Ian Hickson, HTML editor
    HTML5 Doctor (8 January)

    IonMonkey delivers a faster Firefox
    CNET (8 January)

    Things I learned by pretending to be blind for a week
    silktide Blog (7 January)

    HTML5 Is Now Feature Complete, W3C To Start Focusing On Interoperability
    WebProNews (3 January)

    Developers Get "Locked Down" HTML5 Specification From W3C
    Dr. Dobb's (2 January)

    Web technology: 5 things to watch in 2013
    CNET (31 December)

    W3C verdedigt web cryptography-api (W3C defends cryptography web-api)
    Tweakers (27 December)

    Why is Microsoft contributing to WebKit?
    ZDNet (24 December)

    Le W3C dévoile les spécifications du HTML5 et de Canvas 2D (The W3C
discloses HTML5 and Canvas 2D specifications)
    ICTjournal (20 December)

  Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33643220001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/