Digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 18:21:12 +0100
To: public-w3c-digest@w3.org

This is the 26 October - 6 November 2012 edition of a "digest of W3C news
and trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C
Membership and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1])
[sent separately]. This digest aggregates information about W3C from
online media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is apprehended as viewed
 from online media.

Like this edition, the next digest will span ten days; I will compile it
on Friday, 16 November.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

Notably this week:

- 1600 stories about W3C on Twitter in 7 days.
- 4000 mentions of W3C in 10 days.
- Peak of >600 Twitter mentions last Wednesday, the day we held our annual
Technical Plenary, in the middle of TPAC2012 [2].
- net increase of 810+ Twitter followers in 10 days.
- 24 posts that dlvr.it posted to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between
Oct 23 - Oct 30 got 36K clicks (+28.8%), delivered to 55.6K connections.

[2] http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* (21) Paul Rouget: “Which one is the most accurate for you? IP Location
vs W3C Location: http://location.diogomonica.com”

* (26) Video: Respimg CG presents to HTML Working Group
   (37) Respimg CG Call for demos in advance of TPAC2012

* (31) Daniel Glazman: “we found the W3C song, from the Beatles: "You say
yes, I say no, you say why, I say I don't knoooooowww" #tpac @w3c”

* (17) W3C Devrel first tweet

* (47) CSS Priorities 2012-oct-17 [on CSS WG co-chair’s Webstie]

* (20) W3C Web content accessibility guidelines become ISO/IEC
International Standard

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

Of the 21 articles that I added to our Press Clippings page, the highlight
  * Do Not Track (12 articles)

Here is a selection of articles about W3C in the Press:

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords on our Press clippings page:
http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    FTC to apply pressure on Do Not Track
    The H Open (6 November)

    The W3C Speech API - A Google Initiative
    I Programmer (5 November)

    HTML5 and the future of the web
    TechWorld.com (5 November)

    Is 'Do Not Track' Patented?
    Develop in the Cloud (5 November)

    U.K. Government Embraces Openness
    The Wall Street Journal - Tech Europe (2 November)

    HTML5 mythbusting
    Mozilla Hacks (1 November)

    Web standards vet marches Microsoft to the front lines (Q&A)
    CNET (30 October)

    Accessibilité du Web : les règles du W3C validées par l'ISO (Web
accessibility: W3C rules validated by ISO)
    ZDNet.fr (29 October)

    Yahoo! will! ignore! 'Do! Not! Track!' from! IE10!
    The Register (26 October)

    W3C publishes Working Draft for Push API
    The H Open (26 October)

    What happened to do not track?
    Lexology (24 October)

    "Espionner Internet, c'est comme manier de la dynamite" ("Spying on
Internet is like handling dynamite")
    Le Monde.fr (16 October)

    EU chief warns against "watering down" Do Not Track
    PC Pro (11 October)

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/