Re: Proposal for Schema.org extension mechanism

Here's a practical question:

* schema.org/Course is in development for schema.org Core [1]. For purposes
of discussion, say that it wasn't; that schema:Course is part of an
in-development extension
* schema.org/course already has a defined domain and range (schema:Place)
that is somewhat subjectively disjunctive from schema:Course, for online
courses (e.g. from edX)

How is this resolved with the proposed extension mechanism?
Is there a schema-ext123:course which could have a range of schema:Course?

[1] https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/195