Re: schema.org Breadcrumb design on top of ItemList

On 20 Sep 2014, at 09:53, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> On 20 September 2014 08:43, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@unibw.de> wrote:
>> I would prefer to
>>
>> - keep the breadcrumb property and
>> - either use a generic ItemList for the breadcrumbs or a BreadCrumbList type
>
> Some pages have a few breadcrumb chains. Perhaps we might say
> something about http://schema.org/breadcrumb indicating the primary
> navigation?

I would actually recommend using the breadcrumb property for all of them.

If you want to have two or more breadcrumb paths in a page, one could also use an ItemList of BreadCrumbLists with a position property. That would be conceptually clean and nice.

> There's still the question of whether the most specific end of the
> chain should contain the current page or not? If not, then linking it
> also with 'breadcrumb' might be overkill. Jarno's comment suggests
> that inclusion would be simpler for implementors.

Jarno will know better, but I think that including it seems more natural, because you can use the sample templating patterns for all pages without extra handling for the actual page.

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group