Re: VideoGame proposal

On Oct 16, 2014, at 12:34 PM, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@gmail.com> wrote:

> > characterAttribute seems to be something that describes the CreativeWork.character -- should the property live on the Person instead?  This would also make the link between the attribute and the person more explicit.
>
> Dan Scott [1], I [2] and others have discussed variations on this theme.
>
> At the end of the day it's kind of glaringly disengenous to have a "characterAttribute" character without a "character".  +1 to having this property live on Person ... but unless I'm missing something there's currently no Person property for the schema under which the property can live.

Last time this came up, I believe the conclusion was that we needed something like a Contribution class which could tie a Creative Work to an Actor and then describe the type of contribution to be something that could include the character played by the actor. We now have that in Role and various sub-types, specifically CharacterRole. Unfortunately, CharacterRole has the property characterName, which just takes Text.

Often you want to model more than just the name of a character, but to have a full Person-based entity to describe attributes of the character. We see something similar in adding namedPosition which is at least Text or URL. Ideally, these would all be Thing, which would allow a simple literal (Text) as a value using the same principles in schema.org that anything entity-valued property can take a simple string.

I think using a kind of Role to connect an actor to (in this case) a VideoGame makes sense, and that is where Character information should be attached.

Gregg