Re: How to avoid that collections "break" relationships

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 17:48:57 -0700
Cc: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>, "public-hydra@w3.org" <public-hydra@w3.org>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: エリクソン トーレ <t-eriksson@so.taisho.co.jp>
On Mar 26, 2014, at 4:33 PM, エリクソン トーレ <t-eriksson@so.taisho.co.jp> wrote:

> Alternative suggestion from the spectator seat:
>
>> Let's assume we want to build a Web API that exposes information about persons
>> and their friends. Using schema.org, your data would look somewhat like this:
>>
>>  </markus> a schema:Person ;
>>            schema:knows </alice> ;
>>            schema:knows </zorro> .
>>
>> All this information would be available in the document at /markus (please
>> let's not talk about hash URLs etc. here, ok?). Depending on the number of
>> friends, the document however may grow too large.
>
> </markus> a schema:Person ;
>          rdfs:seeAlso </markus/friends/> .
> </markus/friends/> foaf:topic schema:knows .
>
> And in </markus/friends/> (or its redirection target):
>
> </markus> schema:knows </alice>,
>                       </zorro> .
>
> Replace foaf:topic with appropriate schema: properyy if necessary.

That's an interesting idea; in a JSON-LD representation, it might look like the following:

{
  "@id": "/markus",
  "@type": "schema:Person",
  "rdfs:seeAlso": {
    "@id": "/markus/friends",
    "foaf:primaryTopic": "schema:knows"
  }
}

{
  "@id": "/markus/knows",
  "@type": "hydra:Container",
  "hydra:member": "/gregg"
}

The only problem I see from a Linked Data perspective is that </markus/friends> appears to be defined in the </markus> node definition, so it wouldn't be obvious that you would do a further redirection to get the container.

Gregg