Fwd: schema.org markup for a translated CreativeWork?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
> On 27 June 2014 15:57,  <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>>

>> 27.06.2014, 15:44, "Peter Lejeck" <peter.lejeck@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm a programmer working on Hummingbird.me, and I'm trying to mark up
>>> our encyclopedia pages for anime series with microdata.  However, I'm
>>> not sure how I should be marking up the actors by their language.
>>
>> There is a bibex proposal for related works that includes translationOf / hasTranslation - http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Schema_CreativeWork_Relationships
>>
>> I can't guarantee that we take it on, but I think the translation relationships are uncontroversial and reasonably named. I'll take this as a reason to push forward with those, and see if there is any real objection...
>
> +1
>
> Peter, if you can confirm that those proposed properties work for your
> use case, that's good evidence in favour of adding them to
> schema.org...

Definitely a +1 on those proposed properties: they line up well with what
we're currently showing our users, which is dividing the cast by release.

Some of the other proposed properties such as adaptionOf and basedOn are
also quite interesting to me, since they would be useful to link the source
material (manga, novel, etc.) with the adaptations.  Currently our markup
for that consists of a header tag and an unordered list in the hope that
"Google will just magically figure it out"

The one place I feel this proposal could be tricky is the non-literal
translations such as those of 4Kids Entertainment.  They did some weird
things like editing cigarettes into lollipops and merging 3 films into one.
I'm really not sure how well this would represent such a translation, or if
the fact that it's indirect actually matters to anyone reading the data.

Peter Lejeck